I would just like to thank everyone for the feedback on the Intro. I am writing this to try out a new descriptive style, so forgive me if this is small and boring, I’m slowly getting into it.
The first night alone was hardest. I slept on her side of the bed, to feel closer to her. But of course waking up alone hit me hard. Reminded me of that cold feeling of watching her leave into the dark night.
I kept telling myself she would be back, knowing full well that she won’t. She’s gone and I will need time to accept that. But when working on a farm, where it is your only source of income, time is something you don’t really have.
I grabbed the last plate of her salad and sat to eat. It sounds totally absurd but the silence was deafening. How could I stay sane all alone in this house?
But at least the farm was thriving. Sure I only had enough money for a few crops and trees, but once they bore harvest, the money would flood in right? But what if they didn’t? My parents gave me up for this life…Why am I losing everything for this anyway?
I’d settled in to my life at the 3 month mark, bills were usually paid well in advance, even if that left me little for leisure. At first I worried the quiet would be an issue, but truthfully? I liked being out of the way, almost free.
Although every night I would hold my breath as I checked my phone for messages, of course I always expected the ‘No New Messages’ and I was never disappointed either. She was gone. Gone forever.
I may have learnt all I could from that basic book my parents left to me, but I kept it nearby. It reminded me why I wanted to do this, and that they were always with me. And who knows? Maybe one day I will have children of my own to give it to.
But when you live alone, you are bound to become bored easily, and I was no exception. The TV can only entertain someone for so long, but between running the farm and selling my produce, there was really no time to seek out companionship.
Another tip that book suggested was to be active and work on strengthening your muscles. Sure the process was painful, and my arms always felt they were on fire, but it would help in the long run…and girls like men with muscles, right?
One summers day I awoke to see all of my hard labour was worth it. My tomato plant had finally produced fruit! The feeling of accomplishment was amazing! It was motivation to keep on going, and know this was all worthwhile!
I sold my first harvest to the local supermarket for a fair price. I didn’t get the best price, and the quality was ‘ok’ but I was happy. They weren’t my parents crops. They were mine.
But that day of surprises wasn’t yet over. For when I arrived home there was a girl near my crop, not only that but she was….talking to them.
“So you’re saying he’s a good guy? That you're well tended? That’s rare from his kind…Don’t get me wrong, I don’t judge them on being….well themselves, but there not the sharpest tools in the shed..”
Like this chick can talk? But still, my kind nature kicked in and I was concerned for the poor lunatic.
“Miss? Are you lost?”
She spun with an expression which reminded me of a deer caught in headlights…Not that I had ever almost hit a deer. But she started to stammer, and I couldn’t make out what she was saying.
“Uh…No. Y-Yes…Maybe..”
“I need somewhere to crash for a while.”
Well, she was direct I would give her that. My mind was racing, coming up with all possible reasons she would want to crash here of all places.
“Do I even know you? I’m sorry, but I’m not a good person to live with, I’ll be busy out here.”
Hey eyes left mine and looked to the plants that surrounded us, and also to the road in the direction of the forest here.
“I can help you on the farm…I know how plants feel. It’s a….a skill I picked up over the years. I can help, and I can pay for a bed if you need that?”
I took a few minutes to think it over. Something was wrong with this girl…That much was obvious. But I DID want someone to talk to, and she DID appear to have a sort of…affinity for the earth. So I agreed.
Time passed and soon I felt very close to her, even if she was….secretive. She wouldn’t tell me her name, so I called her Luna, short for lunatic. But she would help out with the crops. She told me to talk to them regularly, as it made them feel loved. I felt ridiculous, but I couldn’t deny the results it brought.
“Hey Lu! You didn’t meet me outside. Are you feeling ok? You LOVE the sun!”
She didn’t spare me a glance, just stared straight at the TV. It was another one of her ‘perks’ it was as if she had never seen one.
“I just didn’t feel like it today. That’s all.”
Afterwards there was an awkward silence, so I leaned forward to watch the TV, when after 5 minutes or so she clapped her hands together and squealed.
“Today is the Harvest Moon! It’s today, it’s today!”
It was as if a small child had been given the keys to a sweet shop, I tried to fake enthusiasm, but I never claimed to be an actor. I really shouldn’t have smiled at her ‘eccentric’ behaviour but I did. She made me smile. She made me happy.
I swear she blabbed on and on about how the Harvest Moon was special to ‘people like her’ and how the crops would prosper and we should do something to celebrate the ‘Goddess’ that overlooks us, but I was just mesmerised by…her. I had never noticed how pretty she was, despite how opposite we both appeared.
I took my chance while she was busy humming a tune I vaguely remembered from somewhere, and moved to put my arm around her, when I had done it to Garnet, we hooked up the next night. I hoped for similar results this time around.
But just before are flesh made contact she looked at me and moved away, while I swiftly moved back also.
“Tyler? What were you doing? The ‘move’ thing? Seriously?”
I couldn’t get words to come out of my mouth, they were all stuck in my throat, leaving me to look like a idiot in front of her.
“Look Tyler, I appreciate all you’ve done for me. But I’m just not here for…’that’ sort of relationship. I trust you understand. This would never work. We are 2 totally separate species!”
Ouch, that was a bit harsh, but I had moved to quickly. I didn’t even know if she classed me as a ‘friend’
“Luna, I’m so sorry. I…I just got caught up in the moment…You reminded me of..”
“Of that Garnet chick? Yeah, I get it. I’m just a replacement. You can take the sofa tonight, I’m going to bed.”
I sighed as the door slammed shut. She was right, all I ever spoke to her about was Garnet and how I wished things had been different. It was wrong of me to go after her just as I was missing Garnet..At least I think that was the reason.
I decided to go in and apologise for how I treated her. I knocked on the door but heard no answer so walked in.
I couldn’t believe what I was seeing with my own eyes. Sure my mind registered she was here, in her night wear, looking as beautiful as always. But it was her ears that I couldn’t stop looking at.
“I want to be with you guys right now…But I can’t, I’ve been banished. Tyler just doesn’t understand..”
“I don’t understand what?” I asked, watching as her body went still with shock, then her expression slowly softened into a smile.
“I guess I really should come clean..”
She slowly turned and faced me, my eyes still on her ears…Her unique ears.
“When I said I’m not like you, a complete opposite I meant it….I’m an elf Tyler.”
I know, not the most important chapter ever, but I’m working on it :) Feedback is appreciated!
;Pwho the hell made that elf hihi
ReplyDeletewell i love it
hihi its funy how shes a 'litle' crazy xD
Luna is an elf?... and a wacky one at that.
ReplyDeleteLuna the elf...nice! I wonder what she did to get banished?
ReplyDelete